September 2 2014 Latest news:
by Nick Wright
Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Transfer news: Ricardo Fuller was officially unveiled as a Charlton player at The Valley last night
Charlton manager Chris Powell is delighted by the signing of ex-Stoke City striker Ricardo Fuller.
Fuller was a free agent after his release from Stoke this summer and he has signed a one-year contract with the Addicks, with the option of a further year.
The Jamaica international adds Premier Leauge pedigree for the Addicks, who have made an encouraging start to life back in the Championship, taking four points from their first two games.
Speaking after their 2-1 victory over Leicester City last night, Powell said he believes the 31-year-old can give the whole club a lift.
“He’s a good signing for us,” said Powell, who last week denied a move for Fuller was in the offing.
“A Premier League player who will excite us and I think it’s a statement intent from us that we want to get better, we want to improve and bring in players that will lift the squad and lift our fans.
“We want to get the best out of him.
“[Stoke manager] Tony Pulis was fantastic with regards to what he said about Ricardo,” Powell continued.
“I’m really pleased that he has agreed to join us.”