Bloc 2012 music festival off due to crowd safety fears
PUBLISHED: 14:59 07 July 2012
The Bloc 2012 electronic music festival at London Pleasure Gardens has been closed down due to crowd safety concerns.
American rapper Snoop Dogg and dance act Orbital had been due to headline the event this weekend in the Royal Victoria Docks in east London.
A statement on the Bloc website says: “By now everyone will have heard that Bloc 2012 was closed due to crowd safety concerns.
“We are all absolutely devastated that this happened, but the safety of everyone on site was paramount.
“Given the situation on the ground, we feel that it was the right decision to end the show early.”
It is reported that there were chaotic scenes on Friday night, with police called in to help evacuate thousands of people from the site.
The hashtag #bloc has been trending on Twitter, with many people angry about the cancellation of the festival.
Rod Stanley said: “Someone today is not feeling so clever about calling their ticketing company ‘Crowdsurge’.”
James Delay tweeted last night: “Crowd of a few thousand people being told they can’t get in to Bloc. We’ve already left, it was so bad inside.”