Search

Countdown Gravesend

PUBLISHED: 11:29 31 July 2008 | UPDATED: 09:58 23 August 2010

GIG: Des O’Connor is to do a live show at Woodville Halls in October. Carol Voderman and Des have both quit Countdown.

GIG: Des O’Connor is to do a live show at Woodville Halls in October. Carol Voderman and Des have both quit Countdown.

DES O CONNOR has announced he will perform at Woodville Halls – just a week after quitting as the host of Countdown. The legendary veteran is due to perform at the venue on October 10, giving fans a chance to see the star live a month before he officiall

DES O'CONNOR has announced he will perform at Woodville Halls - just a week after quitting as the host of Countdown.

The legendary veteran is due to perform at the venue on October 10, giving fans a chance to see the star live a month before he officially leaves the Channel 4 show.

Plans for his visit come as the flagship show faces meltdown after co-host Carol Vorderman, 47, claimed she had been forced to quit at the weekend.

A Woodville Halls spokesperson said: "The much-loved entertainer, who has just been awarded the CBE for his services to Entertainment and Broadcasting, will be doing what he loves best when he brings his show, full of laughter, song and music, to Gravesend.

"Des is one of only a handful of British entertainers to be acclaimed internationally on stage and television."

The quizmaster has held the helm on Countdown for two years, replacing Des Lynam, who took over from original host Richard Whiteley when he died.

Announcing his intention to quit, the 76-year-old said: "It's been wonderful hosting a programme which is part of TV folklore.

"I've made a lot of new friends. Carol Vorderman has been a joy... it's been a giggle since day one. But I miss the thrill of stepping out on a live stage for the one-man concerts and the challenge of live TV entertainment-based shows."

Carol Vorderman, who has been with the show since its debut 26 years ago, described him as a 'true gentleman'.

But this week she launched an astonishing attack on show bosses in national newspapers claiming she had to quit over the threat of a 90 per cent pay cut.

In a statement issued through her manager John Miles, she said: "I am devastated that my joyous time with one of the best programmes on TV has ended this way."

Channel 4 has yet to announce O'Connor's replacement on Countdown, which was the first programme to be broadcast on the channel.

On stage the star has appeared on some of the most famous stages, including MGM Grand in Las Vegas, The Sydney Opera House, The O'Keefe Centre, Toronto and more than 1,000 times at the London Polladium.

He is also a multi-million recording selling singer, releasing 35 albums with sales of over 16 million. Currently he is recording his brand new album with legendary producer, songwriter Alan Hawkshaw, who has written for Elvis and Barbra Streisand.

He is due to appear on Friday October 10, 7.30pm. Call the box office on 01474 337774.

0 comments

Latest News

07:00

More than 450 people have signed a petition to keep a Dartford post office open.

Yesterday, 12:53

One of Britain’s most iconic wrestlers of all time steps in to the ring again to raise money for a worthy cause.

Yesterday, 07:00

The pub industry in Gravesham, worth around £26million, could take a hit if beer duty is raised as expected nin the chancellor’s budget later today (Tuesday, October 16), Britain’s Beer Alliance has warned.

Mon, 13:55

A Gravesend lorry driver has been jailed for causing the death of another motorist.

Mon, 08:51

Kent Police are appealing for help to find a 14-year-old girl reported missing from the Dartford area.

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Most read

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Gravesend Reporter e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Gravesend Reporter twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24