Cutty Sark is not the only river attraction as Gravesend’s Cambria returns
PUBLISHED: 07:45 25 April 2012
The Town Pier in Gravesend has received its first visitor with the arrival of a 100-year-old barge.
The Cambria is a wooden sailing barge that was built at Greenhithe in 1906 and is famed for being the last Thames barge to carry commercial cargo under sail alone. Its last day as a cargo ship was in October 1970.
Over the last four years the ship has been restored as part of a £1.4 million project funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund. It is now being used as a floating classroom teaching people about the history of the Thames and it will moor at various locations along the estuary.
The Cambria will be docked at the newly restored Town Pier pontoon until May 4 and is open to the public at set times (10.30am, 12pm, 2pm and 4pm).
It will then return to Gravesend on September 6 for two weeks for schools to visit and will also feature in a documentary being filmed in Gravesend.