Lucky escape for family following fire at Old Road East

PUBLISHED: 13:07 15 May 2018 | UPDATED: 13:07 15 May 2018

The fire broke out at a house in Old Road East. Picture: Google

The fire broke out at a house in Old Road East. Picture: Google


Kent Fire and Rescue Service were called to a house fire in Old Road East, Gravesend this morning.

Three fire engines attended the scene, where two adults and two children were outside the property on arrival.

Crews tackled a fire on the ground floor using a hose reel jet and a covering jet, and cleared the building of smoke using a high pressure fan. The fire is believed to have started in the electrical intake cupboard under the stairs, and due to a large amount of items being stored there, the fire grew quickly.

Fortunately the family was alerted to the blaze by their smoke alarms, enabling them to get out of the property before the fire escalated, however the house was left with smoke and heat damage throughout, and sadly one of the family’s cats died in the fire.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Gravesend Reporter visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Gravesend Reporter staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Gravesend Reporter account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News

Yesterday, 16:26

Three teenagers have been arrested after officers responded to reports of damaged cars in Dartford.

Yesterday, 16:24

The families of serial killer Stephen Port’s victims are a step closer to getting answers to questions surrounding the murders.

Yesterday, 14:36

A robber who used a glass bottle to assault two taxi drivers in Gravesend has been jailed for more than five years.

Yesterday, 09:48

Four fire engines and a height vehicle have been sent to the scene of a fire involving a terraced house in Ames Road, Swanscombe.

Yesterday, 09:18

A baby boy has been born amid queues of traffic caused by an overturned coach on the M25, police said.

Yesterday, 07:00

The Met has claimed it is one of the first forces in the country to develop its own mobile fingerprint device.

Most read

Digital Edition

Read the Gravesend Reporter e-edition today

Newsletter Sign Up

Gravesend Reporter twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24