Revenge attack was covered up’

PUBLISHED: 16:49 18 February 2009 | UPDATED: 10:28 23 August 2010

A MAN is accused of a cover up after orchestrating a military style revenge attack on a victim who died two weeks after being beaten in his home. Kelvin Horlock, 29, from Strood recruited three men to attack Ted Shaxted, 36, at his Wallis Park flat,

A MAN is accused of a "cover up" after orchestrating a "military style" revenge attack on a victim who died two weeks after being beaten in his home.

Kelvin Horlock, 29, from Strood recruited three men to attack Ted Shaxted, 36, at his Wallis Park flat, Northfleet in retaliation for taking and crashing his mum's car, a court heard this week.

In a statement made by the victim to police before he died he remembered seeing three men who bundled him into his bath and then kicked and punched him.

Summing up the case at Maidstone Crown Court the prosecution said Mr Horlock had got rid of an Audi car on December 3, 2007, a day after it was allegedly used to drive a gang from the George and Dragon Pub in Galley Hill to Wallis Park.

Prosecutor Jonathan Higgs also claimed he ditched a mobile phone used to communicate with the gang.

Bill Saunders, 27, of Shamrock Road, Gravesend, Trevor Lees, 35, of London Road, Northfleet, Marvin Service, 33 of Brandon Street, Gravesend and Horlock are all charged with murder.

Jonathan Higgs said: "The group carried out a savage, premeditated attack. They could have stopped at any point but they continued beating and kicking - that is the hallmark of a serious assault.

"The next day why was the Audi driven to Essex and never seen again? The only reason is that it would have tied Mr Horlock to the murder."

His defence team said the Audi was sold to a car dealer in November 2007, but there was no paperwork to support the claim and no record at the DVLA. Automatic number plate recognition technology (ANPR) placed the Audi driving to Essex on December 3, the same day it is alleged Mr Horlock bought a new phone from the Lakeside shopping centre. Data showed the new phone being activated through a Lakeside mobile phone mast.

But defending, Anthony Glass QC told the jury: "There is only circumstantial evidence on which the prosecution is relying. He did not go to 167 Wallis Park at all, he did not wait at the bottom of the stairs, he did not remain in a car."

Mr Glass said there was no time for Horlock to have driven to Wallis Park and committed the crime during a 10 minute period when he left the George and Dragon pub after 7.50pm.

Shaxted sustained multiple fractures and died in hospital from injuries to his chest two weeks later.

Lees admits manslaughter. All four defendants deny murder.

The trial continues.


Latest News

Mon, 15:35

Detectives are appealing for witnesses after a man was assaulted on a train to Gravesend on Friday night (November 16).

Mon, 07:00

Gardeners across Kent opened their gardens to the public and held private events as part of a Gravesend-based charity’s Glorious Gardens programme.

Saturday, November 17, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Friday, November 16, 2018

The son of a woman last seen more than a month ago, has expressed his family’s gratitude to all those who have helped to search for her.

Friday, November 16, 2018

Councillors claim more people in Kent will feel the effects of climate change if the demands from central government to build “huge numbers” of homes are met.

Friday, November 16, 2018

Now back from recording the second series of All Together Now, Brit School teacher and Bromley local Georg Tormann is now warming up for Christmas with his Beckenham-based choir.

Most read

Digital Edition

Read the Gravesend Reporter e-edition today

Newsletter Sign Up

Gravesend Reporter twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24