Search

Stephen Port: Families of serial killer’s victims a step closer to solving ‘unanswered questions’

PUBLISHED: 16:24 14 August 2018 | UPDATED: 16:36 14 August 2018

Jack Taylor's family. Pic: PA/Philip Toscano

Jack Taylor's family. Pic: PA/Philip Toscano

Archant

The families of serial killer Stephen Port’s victims are a step closer to getting answers to questions surrounding the murders.

Stephen Port's victims clockwise from top left: Gabriel Kovari, Daniel Whitworth, Jack Taylor and  Anthony Walgate. Pic: Met Police.Stephen Port's victims clockwise from top left: Gabriel Kovari, Daniel Whitworth, Jack Taylor and Anthony Walgate. Pic: Met Police.

Donna and Jenny Taylor – sisters of Dagenham victim Jack Taylor – said today (August 14): “We are pleased the process has started and hope we’re getting closer to the many unanswered questions we have.”

They commented after a pre-inquest review – called to decide the scope of a second inquest.

The original inquests into the deaths of victims Gabriel Kovari, 22, of Slovakia and Daniel Whitworth, 21, from Gravesend, were held in June 2015, more than a year before Port received a life sentence for four murders in 2016.

A High Court judge quashed the original verdicts last year after new information emerged following Port’s conviction.

Stephen Port. Pic: Met PoliceStephen Port. Pic: Met Police

The new inquest will be the first into the deaths of 25-year-old Jack and Anthony Walgate, 23, from Hull.

Port lured his victims to his flat in Cooke Street, Barking, for sex before plying them with drinks spiked with drug GHB. He then dumped their bodies in or near St Margaret’s Church.

During the review it was decided the Met and victims’ families would have six weeks each to check a 380 page report by watchdog the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) into the force’s handling of the case before its publication.

Welcoming the decision, the families’ lawyer Andrew Petherbridge said: “The conclusion of the report has been a long and sometimes frustrating process for the families who are desperate for answers.”

During the review at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court assistant coroner Dr Shirley Radcliffe said it was remarkable the families’ lawyers wanted senior coroner Nadia Persaud to take part in a second inquest. Ms Persaud returned open verdicts at the end of Gabriel and Daniel’s inquests.

Dr Radcliffe complained that a trial judge would never be called as a witness in similar circumstances. She said there was no risk of bias if she sat and her colleague participated.

She decided the second inquest required a jury.

The families also called for the second inquest to be heard by another court outside of Walthamstow Coroner’s Court’s jurisdiction.

So far the families have raised more than £1,000 towards a £10,000 target to help cover their legal costs. To donate visit Crowdjustice.com

A second PIR is due on November 21.

Related articles

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Gravesend Reporter visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Gravesend Reporter staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Gravesend Reporter account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News

Yesterday, 10:00

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Fri, 16:36

Gravesham fireworks display is to be postponed for fear of disturbing the whale who has taken up home in the Thames in Gravesend.

Fri, 12:49

Jamie Brown of Archant Local Impact explains how you can build brand awareness.

Fri, 11:25

The Health and Safety Executive has confirmed it is investigating after a worker at a Northfleet factory was seriously injured in an industrial accident early yesterday morning (Thursday, October 18).

Fri, 07:00

Following the incredible sell-out stage success of Not Dead Enough, The Perfect Murder and Dead Simple, the number one best-selling author Peter James is back with a spine-tingling new world premiere play, The House On Cold Hill, coming to the Orchard Theatre in January.

Thu, 07:00

Kent’s NHS services will receive more than £6million of extra funding this winter to help alleviate growing pressures on our hospitals, the Department for Health announced yesterday (Wednesday, October 17).

Most read

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Gravesend Reporter e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Gravesend Reporter twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24