Search

A build up of fat caused a fire inside a Northfleet kitchen

PUBLISHED: 09:17 29 September 2017 | UPDATED: 09:17 29 September 2017

Firefighters

Firefighters

sanchairat

The fire started on Thursday evening

Firefighters offered safety advice to homeowners after a build up of fat caught alight inside a Northfleet property.

Crews were called to Chadwick Close at 5.08pm on Thursday, where they discovered the property’s gas oven was alight.

A spokesperson from Kent Fire and Rescue Service said: “Crews used breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire that is believed to have been caused by a build up of fat in the gas oven that caught fire. The cooker was removed and crews offered safety information to the occupant of the property. There were no reported injuries.

“Firefighters have urged people across Kent and Medway to think about cleaning their ovens and hobs to help prevent similar fires from occurring. Over half of the fires KFRS attends in the home start in the kitchen.

“For free home safety advice call 0800 923 7000.”

Crews left the scene at 5.26pm


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter