Search

Battle of Britain demolition 'unlawful' admits council

PUBLISHED: 16:23 25 October 2016

Protestors outside the demolished site of the Battle of Britain. Picture credit: Jack Thornton.

Protestors outside the demolished site of the Battle of Britain. Picture credit: Jack Thornton.

Archant

The council is seeking legal advice about the unauthorised demolition

The demolition of the Battle of Britain pub in Northfleet earlier this month was unlawful, the council has admitted.

Developer Caldecott Group’s unauthorised demolition of the historic pub on Coldharbour Road has led to mounting anger, and residents staged a protest last Tuesday (October 18) to voice their concerns.

Now the council has announced that the developer’s actions were unlawful and is seeking legal advice on the matter.

A spokesman said they were in violation of a number of planning regulations, and that commencement “cannot be retrospectively validated or ratified”.

“Failure to give the required notice before commencing the work, or to obtain prior approval where required, renders the entire operation unlawful,” he continued.

“It cannot then be permitted development and the Prior Notification Application should be refused.”

The Battle of Britain was originally used by RAF pilots during the Second World War, and there have been calls for it to be rebuilt.

Local campaigner Tina Brooker said: “We want it rebuilt. It was a thriving business that had a lot of visitors, clubs were set up there, it was a community hub. This protest is just the beginning.”

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists