Call to withdraw plan and start from scratch
PUBLISHED: 16:46 22 October 2008 | UPDATED: 10:12 23 August 2010
A CAMPAIGN group has welcomed a decision to delay the £150million Heritage Quarter regeneration project, but has demanded the planners scrap the current scheme. Gravesham Borough Council announced on October 14 that more public consultation will take pla
A CAMPAIGN group has welcomed a decision to delay the £150million Heritage Quarter regeneration project, but has demanded the planners scrap the current scheme.
Gravesham Borough Council announced on October 14 that more public consultation will take place for the project, which includes a controversial 32-storey tower.
Urban Gravesham, who have campaigned against the proposals from the beginning, wants the council to ask the developer Edinburgh House to withdraw the planning application.
Jonathan Clay, the chairman of the group, said: "Our campaign against this monstrous proposal has attracted widespread support across Gravesham.
"We therefore welcome the council decision to carry out further public consultation. However, the council has to show that it can listen by being prepared to go right back to the drawing board. We don't believe that people will find this scheme, or a variant of it, acceptable.
"Only without the threat of this awful scheme can there be a full and proper debate about the future of the town centre.
"Like everyone else, Urban Gravesham recognises the importance of town centre regeneration. However, new development must be sympathetic to the historic character of Gravesend.
"On behalf of the thousands of people who have supported our campaign, we want to sit down with the council and other interested parties to agree a positive way forward."
A spokesperson for the council said: "The council will continue to consult on every stage of the consultation process on the future of the legally binding development agreement that was signed in February last year.