Search

Couple “extremely lucky” to escape Gravesend fire

PUBLISHED: 14:20 26 October 2012

Fire crews have told a couple they were “extremely lucky” to have escaped a fire given their house did not have a smoke alarm.

Residents of a house in Princes Road, Gravesend, woke at around 6.30am this morning to find smoke after an iron was left on causing the vinyl flooring to smoulder.

Thames-side Watch Manager, Lee Murphy, said: “The property was not fitted with a working smoke alarm so the residents were extremely lucky to have been alerted to the fire before it became more serious.

“Just three breaths of fire smoke can overcome an adult so I cannot emphasise enough the importance of fitting and maintaining smoke alarms on every floor of your home.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter