Shaxted killers jailed again

PUBLISHED: 17:28 14 June 2011

Ted Shaxted was killed in 2007

Ted Shaxted was killed in 2007


Life sentences have been dished out to three men guilty of the brutal murder of “vulnerable” man following a eight week-long retrial.

Kelvin Horlock, 33, Hatfield Road, Strood, Trevor Lees, 38, London Road, Northfleet and Bill Saunders, 30, Shamrock Road, Gravesend were sentenced to a combined total of more than 40 years behind bars at Maidstone Crown Court on Tuesday.

A fourth man, Marvin Service, 35, Brandon Street, Gravesend awaits a second re-trial after the jury failed to reach a majority verdict and was discharged.

Delivering his sentence Judge Carey said: “I am quite sure the Kelvin Horlock was indeed the organiser of this attack. He rounded up a group of people willing to go into the flat to inflict severe injury on Ted Shaxted, and that is precisely what happened.

“Ted Shaxted was a vulnerable man and known to be. He was the victim of a group attack where he stood no chance of defending himself.”

The four men were first tried in 2009 when all four were found guilty of murder.

Ted Shaxted was found in his flat in Wallis Park, Northfleet badly beaten, with 11 fractured ribs, in December 2007.

He was taken to hospital but died 12 days later.

Horlock was sentenced to 16 years then, but Judge Carey reduced this by a year minus eight months served on remand, while Saunders was given 14 years also minus eight months, and Lees 12 and a half, reduced for a guilty plea of manslaughter.

Mr Service is expected to be re-tried in December.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter