Teenage Gravesend knife attackers jailed for 23 years
PUBLISHED: 10:09 07 October 2015 | UPDATED: 10:09 07 October 2015
Brandon Gurr and Mojolaoluwa Oluleye left a man with eight knife wounds in an attack on Milton Road in February
Two men have been jailed for their roles in an attack in Gravesend that left a man with eight knife wounds.
Brandon Gurr and Mojolaoluwa Oluleye will serve a combined 23 years after being sentenced at Maidstone Crown Court on Friday.
Gurr, who is 18 and had been remanded in custody prior to the sentencing, will serve 15 years in a young offenders prison after being found guilty of attempted murder and perverting the course of justice.
He had earlier pleaded guilty to possessing an offensive weapon and possession with intent to supply heroin and crack cocaine.
Oluleye, 18 and formerly of Meadow Road in Gravesend, will serve eight years after being convicted of grievous bodily harm with intent.
The attack happened on Milton Road, Gravesend on Tuesday February 10, 2015, close to three hours after a dispute between the victim and Gurr over money.
Gurr wrongly believed the victim had taken money that had been left in a home in Brown Road and a heated exchange led to the victim leaving the property and walking away.
As the victim walked down Milton Road, in the direction of Gravesend town centre, a black car pulled onto a kerb about 50 yards in front of him.
The victim saw Oluleye get out of the car and as he looked in the other direction realised Gurr had been following him.
Fearing an attack, the victim tried to run away but was caught and assaulted by Gurr and Oluleye next to a bus stop in Milton Road, in front of several eye witnesses.
The victim suffered eight knife wounds, including four to his back, one to the chest, one of each arm and a slash wound to the bridge of his nose.
Detective Inspector Andy Featherstone, the senior investigating officer for the case, said: “There can be no doubt that Gurr was attempting to murder the victim in this violent and prolonged attack.
“The victim suffered serious injuries and the ordeal must have been horrifying. I would like to thank him for the support he has given us in this investigation, which must have taken a huge amount of courage.
“The attack took place in front of numerous members of the public, including very young children.
“It would have been devastating to witness and I would like to thank also thank the witnesses for their support in bringing these two remorseless men to justice.
“Kent Police will relentlessly pursue and bring to justice criminals that present a danger to the community.”
Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS South East, Jaswant Narwal, said: “This was not an attempt to scare or injure someone.
“It was our case this was clearly a sustained and premeditated attempt to kill and it took place in the most public of settings.
“The victim is lucky to have escaped with his life, given the injuries he suffered and no doubt he will never forget the traumatic events of that day.
“Those who witnessed it are unlikely to forget what they saw either. People were just waiting for a bus and never expected to witness such a shocking attack taking place right in front of them.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the orange box below for details.