Dartford Council calls on residents to report fly-tippers

PUBLISHED: 09:08 17 July 2015

Rubbish bags

Rubbish bags


Rubbish must be disposed of at licensed or authorised sites warn environmental enforcement officers

Dartford Council is taking action to prevent rubbish being dumped across the borough.

Its environmental enforcement team is calling on residents to report fly-tipping and also to take care when hiring companies to take their waste away.

The team investigates fly-tipping incidents and is reminding people the Environmental Protection Act makes it a criminal offence to dispose of rubbish other than at a licensed civic amenity site or other authorised site.

Those who do could face a maximum penalty of £50,000 and/or five years imprisonment.

Residents that witness fly-tipping are asked to call 01322 343434 (during office hours) or 0345 634 1212 (out of hours), giving as much detail as possible, including:

* The location, time, day, date, how far away they were and what happened.

* If a vehicle was involved, give details of the type, colour, registration and anything distinctive about it.

* A description of the person(s) - their sex, age, height, build, hair, what were they wearing, what did they dump, how long were the person(s) in view.

* Photographs or video footage would be extremely helpful if possible but residents should not put themselves at risk.

The enforcement team is also reminding residents and businesses that they must check that anyone commissioned to dispose of waste on their behalf is registered.

A spokesman said: “Nobody wants rubbish outside their property for any longer than necessary and it may be very tempting when a ‘man with a van‘ knocks on your door and offers to take the rubbish away for a sum of money equal or less than a price of a skip.

“The service offered is cheap for a reason - the person collecting is often unlicensed and has no intention of disposing of your waste legally. The waste often gets tipped on someone else’s land, or the highway.

“Householders are not required to supply documentation such as a waste transfer note but could face hefty court fines if they fail to take reasonable measures to ensure their domestic waste is handled by an authorised waste carrier.

“Practically this means ask to see the waste carrier’s licence in advance, then get a receipt, which can be hand written, with contact details, and make a note of the vehicle and its registration number and any company name.”

The spokesman added: “If in any doubt, then do not hand over your waste.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter