Search

Decision due in eye-gouging rugby probe

PUBLISHED: 15:58 16 June 2010 | UPDATED: 11:46 23 August 2010

BRITAIN S rugby ruling body has almost finished an investigation into an alleged gouging attack which left a player blinded in one eye. The probe by the Rugby Football Union follows news that Kent Police has dropped the investigation into the incident.

BRITAIN'S rugby ruling body has almost finished an investigation into an alleged gouging attack which left a player blinded in one eye.

The probe by the Rugby Football Union follows news that Kent Police has dropped the investigation into the incident.

South African born Clarence Harding, of Kitchener Avenue,

Gravesend, was injured playing for Gravesend RFC in a cup match against Maidstone RFC in January.

RFU disciplinary manager Bruce Reece-Russell told the Reporter he hopes a result would be announced within a fortnight.

He said: "We are waiting for one further statement and then we will make a decision if or how we take the case forward."

"Both clubs know what is going on and have been kept informed."

Mr Harding, 27, said he was disappointed about the police decision but now awaits the outcome of the second enquiry.

He said: "The RFU was always going to investigate - it's quite a severe matter even in the RFU's eyes.

"Unfortunately I can't comment too much on what's happening because, to be quite honest, I don't know that much."

Events planner Mr Harding claims his right eye was intentionally gouged by an opposition player in a match at Maidstone on January 17.

He was unable to open his eyes for two days due to the extreme pain and shortly after that he was told that he would be blind in one eye for the rest of his life.

Last month he revealed he may have to quit his job because he has become a health and safety risk.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists