Search

Did a dog start Gravesend flat fire?

PUBLISHED: 13:08 15 February 2013 | UPDATED: 13:08 15 February 2013

Firefighters dealt with a flat fire in Gravesend on Wednesday but the property was empty apart from the owner’s two dogs.

It is thought one of the dogs had jumped up onto the cooker and managed to turn on the electric hob, which then ignited an object on top of it, in turn spreading to the surrounding kitchen units.

Two fire crews attended the fire in Pier Road at around 3pm after a neighbour spotted smoke billowing out of a vent.

Realising the occupant was out and the dogs trapped inside the neighbour let herself in and rescued them.

Thames-side watch manager Vicki Brown said: “We never advise anyone to enter a property where there is a fire, as the toxic smoke can be deadly. On this occasion, the neighbour was extremely lucky and her kind-hearted actions probably saved the dogs’ lives, but at considerable risk to her own safety.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter