Ebbsfleet Garden City will have hundreds of homes ready by next year, says interim chief exec
PUBLISHED: 11:10 01 July 2016 | UPDATED: 11:10 01 July 2016
The assurance comes after last week's referendum result
Developers at Ebbsfleet Garden City claim it is ‘business as usual’ on site after Britain’s decision to leave the EU last week.
The chancellor of the exchequer George Osborne had warned prior to the referendum that a leave vote would see a £30billion ‘black hole’ open in the economy, which would require an emergency budget.
Mr Osborne has since put off such a budget until the autumn.
Ebbsfleet Development Corporation met with land owners and building firms working on the garden city earlier this week.
During the meeting, it was announced work would begin on Monday for another 125 homes in the Castle Hill area of the development.
Earlier this year, planning was granted for a primary school and a community centre to be built in Castle Hill.
The school is predicted to open in September 2017.
Other developers are continuing work, with planning applications for a pub and a hotel expected to be submitted in the near future.
Interim chief executive at EDC Paul Spooner said: “I was delighted to hear from our partners that it is business as usual in the garden city and they are all still on course with their plans.
“There is a real confidence here that there will be 600 new homes started in the garden city in the next year and that 300 of those will be completed.
“Like us, house builders have full confidence that the real growth has now started will continue.
“Demand for housing is not going to change and Ebbsfleet remains in a very strong position as a good location for investors.”