Search

Family living without smoke alarms escape Dartford fire after smelling smoke as they went to bed

PUBLISHED: 08:44 31 July 2017 | UPDATED: 08:44 31 July 2017

Firefighters

Firefighters

sanchairat

Firefighters warned “it could have been a very different outcome”

A mother and her two adult daughters avoided tragedy at the weekend after smelling smoke just as they went to bed.

The Spring Vale South family got up to find the source of the smell, and discovered flames rising from part of their home’s power supply in a cupboard under the stairs at around 10.25pm on Saturday.

Rushing out of the property, all three women managed to escape the fire unharmed.

“The women had a very lucky escape as they had no working smoke alarms in the property,” said Dave Boakes, watch manager from Kent Fire and Rescue Service.

“Had they been in bed asleep and not realised the fire was burning, it could have been a very different outcome this morning.

“Fortunately, the fire had spread to a water pipe in the cupboard which split, spraying water over the fire and containing it until we arrived. Had this not happened the fire would have been far worse and could have blocked their escape route from the bedrooms.”

Crews had made the scene safe by 11.40pm.

If you value what this gives you, please consider supporting our work. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter