Search

Girl in blaze

PUBLISHED: 12:27 30 October 2008 | UPDATED: 10:13 23 August 2010

A TEENAGER had a lucky escape after a tealight on a television started a fire in the lounge as she slept on the sofa. The 18-year-old woman woke in her house in Beresford Road, Northfleet, at 6pm last Sunday to find the candle had melted and caught the T

A TEENAGER had a lucky escape after a tealight on a television started a fire in the lounge as she slept on the sofa.

The 18-year-old woman woke in her house in Beresford Road, Northfleet, at 6pm last Sunday to find the candle had melted and caught the TV stand alight.

After managing to escape from the rented house, which did not have a fire alarm, Kent Fire and Rescue Service were contacted, and crews from Thames-side and Swanscombe extinguished the blaze after an hour.

Neighbour Rijinder Kaur, 32, of Beresford Road, Northfleet, said: "I came down stairs and smelt smoke, I thought something had caught fire inside my house.

"A friend of the neighbour then came round and knocked on my door, saying there was a fire in the house next door. I was worried for my six-year-old daughter.

"I got outside, and three fire engines arrived, and an ambulance. The fire wasn't that big, but there was a lot of smoke coming from the lounge, and the girl that had escaped looked very upset."

The lounge was completely destroyed in the fire, and the rest of the house was badly damaged by smoke.

Watch Manager Lawrence Pater said: "Kent Fire and Rescue would like to remind people of the importance of having a smoke detector. If you don't have one, contact 0800 923 7000 and faire safety officers will come round your house and fit one free

of charge.

Most Read

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists