Gravesend and Dartford emergency help still available after crisis loans scrapped

PUBLISHED: 16:57 26 March 2013 | UPDATED: 16:57 26 March 2013

People who find themselves facing a financial emergency may be eligible for help directly from Kent County Council.

The Department for Work and Pensions will scrap community care grants and crisis loans for living expenses from Monday but local authorities will receive replacement funding to help those in desperate need.

In Kent the pilot of the local replacement scheme will be called the Kent Support and Assistance Service (KSAS).

The support offered through KSAS will only be for emergencies and will be provided in goods or services. Cash will not be available.

As examples, the scheme could help a mother with young children who needs to purchase household items for a new home after the breakdown of a violent relationship, or a disabled person who is at risk of going into residential care if they cannot replace a broken washing machine and remain independent.

Cllr Mike Hill said: “This change in responsibility will mean the county council will be able to directly help residents who find themselves facing a crisis in their lives. We will have limited funds available but we will endeavour to support people to stay independent and get the help or advice they need.”

If you are need, visit or call 0300 333 5700.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter