Search

Gravesend Heritage Quarter plans considered by council next week

PUBLISHED: 13:10 23 April 2013 | UPDATED: 09:32 24 April 2013

Virginia and Colin Smith, of St Andrew's Court, Gravesend say their home will be cast into darkeness if the plans are approved

Virginia and Colin Smith, of St Andrew's Court, Gravesend say their home will be cast into darkeness if the plans are approved

Archant

The detailed planning application for the Eastern Quarter of the controversial £120million Heritage Quarter development in Gravesend will be considered by councillors at a regulatory board meeting on Tuesday evening at 7pm at the Civic Centre in Windmill Street.

The plans include three blocks of flats, a hotel and a new market square with restaurants and landscaping as well as well as underground car parking.

Developers Edinburgh House say if they are approved then building work will begin early next year and a further application will be submitted for the Western Quarter, which will include more shops, restaurants and a community space.

Residents of St Andrews Court in Gravesend are among over 500 people who have written letters of objection over the plans. Virginia and Colin Smith have displayed a banner protesting at the loss of daylight to their home and those of their neighbours which would result if the six storeys of proposed flats proposed are built opposite St Andrew’s Court.

Mrs Smith said: “ We have met with our councillors and made it clear to them that we will not be voting for them if they support this terrible application.

“Everyone here is up in arms about it, Gravesend already has too many flats, it is madness to built over 300 more, we need family homes and something in keeping with this heritage area.

“River views should be kept and the money spent on doing up neglected areas like Queen Street and the existing shops, Gravesend still has its own character and could be a lovely place if the councillors would listen to the people who live here, not the property developer who just wants to make a fast buck out of our town.”

But Edinburgh House said there had been a ‘surge’ in support for the development and says it has met with many high street brands who have shown an interest in establishing themselves in the town again if the proposals are approved.

The council has received 195 letters in support of the plans.

Simon Taylor of GL Hearn planning consultants said: “It’s unusually high to see this many letters and shows just how much the public want to see the town move forward - it’s fantastic.”

What do you think of the plans? email kate.nelson@archant.co.uk or tweet @northkentnews

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists