Gravesend nightclub release statement following weekend incident
PUBLISHED: 09:37 19 March 2018 | UPDATED: 13:15 19 March 2018
Blake’s nightclub has released a statement following an incident on Saturday (March 17) in which a car was driven into the building.
Police were called to Blake’s in Queen Street at 11.47pm on Saturday and remained at the scene throughout Sunday.
Enquiries are ongoing and the incident is not been being treated as terror related.
A statement on the nightclub’s Facebook page from yesterday (Sunday March 18) said: “At Blake’s we strive to create a safe and positive environment for all to enjoy.
“Last night however, the unpredictable and selfish actions of one individual ruined a great occasion for all.
“Our thoughts and prayers go out to our guests and staff that were impacted by this incident.
“Although we are deeply saddened that injuries occurred, we are grateful that no one was fatally hurt.
“We see our guests as family and we want to extend our concerns with them and the entire community of Gravesend, many of which bravely aided the staff and emergency services.
“Thank you to the heroic actions of our door team and guests to apprehend the individual before further harm was caused.
“We sincerely request that everyone affected and concerned please allow some time for the authorities to conduct their investigations. We are working tirelessly to ensure the necessary actions are taken against the individual in custody.
“Further information will be provided when permitted.
“In the meantime we will do our best to provide support and make sure any guests who are still waiting to collect belongings from our club are able to collect as soon as possible.
“We are grateful for the support and well wishes.”
In a second Facebook post, staff thanked Kent Police as well as fire brigade and emergency services for their swift response and continued support, as well as door staff who risked their lives for the safety of those in the venue.
A 21-year-old man, who is believed to have been asked to leave the club earlier in the evening, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and remains in custody.
Although 13 have been confirmed injured, police believe several others may have left the scene and are working to establish how many further victims there may be.
Several of those hurt suffered broken bones but none of their injuries are described as life-threatening.
Investigating officer Det Ch Insp David Chewter, of the Kent and Essex serious crime directorate, said: “This was a frightening experience for everyone involved and it is a miracle that nobody was killed.
“At least 13 people were hurt but none of their injuries are described as life-threatening or life-changing.
“We believe there are likely to be further casualties who perhaps left the club during the panic and we would like to hear from them.
“We would also encourage anyone who was present at the time of the incident or has photos or original video footage to call 0800 096 1011 or visit https://mipp.police.uk.
“Our investigation is progressing well and I would like to thank everyone who has helped by providing statements or evidence so far, including the staff and management of Blake’s who we continue to work closely with.”
Any witnesses are asked to call 0800 096 1011 or visit https://mipp.police.uk quoting reference 17-1376.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.