Search

'I am not a hero' - Dartford born paramedic who tried to save Finland attack victim heard 'heart-breaking scream'

PUBLISHED: 08:27 21 August 2017 | UPDATED: 08:27 21 August 2017

Hassan Zubier attends a minutes silence for the victims of Friday's attack at Turku Market Square in Turku, Finland, on Sunday Aug. 20, 2017. (Vesa Moilanen/Lehtikuva via AP)

Hassan Zubier attends a minutes silence for the victims of Friday's attack at Turku Market Square in Turku, Finland, on Sunday Aug. 20, 2017. (Vesa Moilanen/Lehtikuva via AP)

Two women died and eight more people were injured

A Dartford-born paramedic has denied being a hero after trying to save the victim of last week’s suspected terror attack in Finland.

Hassan Zubier, who now lives in Sweden, is still in hospital in the city of Turku, 90 miles west of Helsinki, after he was wounded in the knife rampage that left two Finnish women dead.

Mr Zubier explained: “I heard a scream, a really heart-breaking scream, so I turned around and there was a man standing over her, stabbing her.”

He said he was knifed several times as he tried to defend his girlfriend and save a stranger’s life.

“I went back to the girl, but her injuries were too severe. It was a really bad cut so, yeah, we lost her.”

Mr Zubier has received international praise for his bravery in coming to the aid of others, but he insisted: “I am not a hero, I’m just a person who just can’t look away.”

Speaking on Sunday - two days after the attack - he told Finnish news outlet Iltalehti he feels sad he could not save the woman’s life.

Sat in a wheelchair and with his left arm in a sling, he added: “It’s a sad, sad day, not just for Finland, but for the world, for humanity.”

Mr Zubier made the comments after a minute’s silence was observed in the city to mark the attack.

Four Finns, an Italian and a Swede were also injured in the attack, which Finland’s Security Intelligence Service said was “a likely terror act”.

Police said the suspect, an 18-year-old Moroccan asylum-seeker, who was shot by officers and arrested, appeared to have targeted women.

The suspect, who arrived in Finland last year, has not been identified by Finnish police and remains in hospital.

Four other Moroccans have been arrested.

A Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokeswoman said: “Our staff have offered support to a British man following an incident in Finland.”

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists