Man to stand trial in September for driving 4x4 through Gravesend nightclub
PUBLISHED: 13:35 16 April 2018 | UPDATED: 13:57 16 April 2018
A man charged with attempted murder after he drove his car into revellers at a busy Gravesend nightclub will stand trial in September.
Mohammed Abdul is accused of driving a Suzuki Vitara deliberately into Blake’s nightclub in Gravesend, on March 17 in an incident which left 13 people injured.
The 21-year-old appeared at Maidstone Crown Court on Monday via videolink from Belmarsh Prison.
He was due to enter a plea but the hearing had to be abandoned because of technical problems.
Dressed in a grey tracksuit, he said: “I can’t hear you, I can’t hear what they are saying” as court staff attempted to get the link to work.
Ben Irwin, defending, said Abdul had indicated he would plead not guilty.
Judge Adele Williams set a trial date of September 18 and said Abdul, of McMillan Street, Greenwich, would need to be produced in court for a full plea and trial preparation hearing on Friday.
Abdul was allegedly kicked out of the Queen Street club earlier in the evening.
Later on, a 4x4 is said to have been driven along the alleyway beside the club at speed and stopped for about 15 seconds before ploughing through a marquee and on to the dance floor.
People were left with injuries including broken and dislocated knees, a previous court hearing was told.
Abdul was arrested and charged with the attempted murder of Katie Wells and others.
Miss Wells, 18, of Gravesend, who said she was left with a broken pelvis after the incident, thanked everyone for their support during her recovery.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.