Mother and child sleep through Dartford flat fire
PUBLISHED: 12:12 17 December 2012
A mother and her child were rushed to hospital after being rescued from a fire in a Dartford flat.
Four fire engines were called to The Brent at 11.40pm on Sunday night after the blaze broke out in a shop and spread to the flats above it.
Without a smoke alarm to warn them, the woman and child were still asleep in their burning flat and firefighters had to force entry into it to get them out.
The pair were taken to hospital suffering the effects of smoke inhalation.
Dartford watch manager Lee Abel said: “Don’t rely on others to alert you to a fire. Just three breaths of fire smoke can render you unconscious and as this incident highlights, if you are asleep already, and without a smoke alarm to wake you, your chances of escaping are significantly reduced.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.