Search

Mum joins the fight against killer cocaine

PUBLISHED: 16:21 24 June 2009 | UPDATED: 10:47 23 August 2010

HEARTBROKEN: Mum Angela Pett with a picture of daughter Haniska who died last year after taking cocaine.

HEARTBROKEN: Mum Angela Pett with a picture of daughter Haniska who died last year after taking cocaine.

THE MOTHER of a young woman who died after taking a cocktail of drugs is backing a high profile drugs awareness campaign. On October 19 last year, 20-year-old Haniska Pett became ill after taking a mix of cocaine and MDMA and died shortly afterwards.

THE MOTHER of a young woman who died after taking a 'cocktail' of drugs is backing a high profile drugs awareness campaign.

On October 19 last year, 20-year-old Haniska Pett became ill after taking a mix of cocaine and MDMA and died shortly afterwards.

Last Friday her mother Angela Pett, of Valley Drive, Gravesend, announced her support of a campaign by Kent Police about the dangers of cocaine.

It comes three weeks after The Reporter exclusively revealed that Mrs Pett was hoping to educate children about the dangers of drugs.

The campaign will see police projecting images, films and messages onto public buildings across the county, to give information about substance abuse.

Ms Pett, a vet practice worker, said: "I fully support Kent Police's initiative of projecting educational messages and giving information of where people can get help with substance abuse.

"Beaming these messages in public places will reach those who need it most and help save lives.

"Haniska was a loving daughter who was happy in her job as a hairdresser. She had a large group of friends. I am sure she had no idea that the cocaine she was taking was mixed with another drug that would result in her death.

"She has left a gaping hole in our lives. Her family, friends and colleagues miss her dreadfully.

Miss Pett had been at the house of her friend Jolene Keeler in Northfleet after a night out at The Riverside Tavern in Strood.

The next day she became ill and suffered a heart attack and died in an ambulance on the way to Darent Valley Hospital.

Pathologists recorded a verdict of misadventure and toxicology reports revealed traces of cocaine and high concentrations of MDMA, which is used in ecstasy pills.

Mrs Pett added: "It's important that those taking cocaine understand the risks they are taking. Drug dealers do not care about you and they are not your friends.

" They are parasites and all they care about is getting their hands on your money. They will cut their drugs with anything to make a profit. Each time you take cocaine, you do not know what you are taking and you are gambling with your life."

n For more information call 01622 690690 or visit www.kent.police.uk


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter