Search

New Ash Green man thanks neighbour for saving his life after he falls asleep leaving his food unattended

PUBLISHED: 08:42 23 July 2013 | UPDATED: 10:26 23 July 2013

sub

A man has thanked his neighbour for saving his life after a pan of food caught fire as he slept.

The resident had a lucky escape after he fell asleep at his property in New Ash Green, Millfield leaving his food unattended on Sunday.

The quick thinking neighbour smelled smoke coming from the property and went to investigate.

After getting no answer, he let himself into the house using a spare key.

He found his neighbour asleep in the lounge, but managed to wake him up and get him out of the smoke logged house,.

Firefighters from Dartford Fire Station attended and checked the house to make sure there was no fire and ventilated the ground floor to clear the smoke.

Crew manager, Gary Miller said: “This incident could have escalated into a serious fire.

“With no smoke detectors fitted to alert him, this man has his neighbours to thank for potentially saving his life as well as his property.

“I would advise residents to ensure they have working smoke alarms on each floor of their home and never to leave cooking unattended. A moment’s distraction could lead to a serious fire.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists