Search

Northfleet woman avert disaster after fire

PUBLISHED: 09:00 19 April 2013

Three women have been praised after their quick-thinking prevented a potential devastating kitchen fire in Northfleet on Wednesday night.

The blaze broke out at a home in Pier Road at 10.42pm after oil was over-heated in a pan sitting on an electric hob.

When food was added to the pan it caught on fire and firefighters were called to the two-storey property.

Thames-side crew manager John Allwright said: “Luckily the women didn’t attempt to move the pan, which could have resulted in serious injuries.”

“They switched the electricity off at the wall, put damp towels and a lid over the pan, starving the fire of oxygen and preventing it spreading.”

Firefighters arrived within four minutes and one of the three women was taken to hospital for precautionary checks. The other two were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

Mr Allwright added: “Luckily the women were in the room at the time, did exactly the right thing and also had the benefit of working smoke alarms.

“Their quick thinking actions certainly avoided a more serious incident.

“If you’re cooking with oil and fat you need to be aware, it reaches extremely high temperatures and is an ideal fuel for fire.”

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter