Plans for 151 new Greenhithe homes REJECTED by Dartford councillors
PUBLISHED: 11:54 19 May 2017 | UPDATED: 16:34 19 May 2017
The plans had been earmarked for approval
Plans for more than 150 homes and a new maritime facility in Greenhithe have been rejected by Dartford councillors, despite being earmarked for approval.
Last night (Thursday) Dartford councillors met to discuss the plans from Crest Nicholson to build a 16-storey tower block alongside 20 houses, known as The Pier development, which hoped to bring 151 homes to Ingress Park.
Council officers had recommended the plans were approved, after developers pledged to bring a shop and a maritime facility, which was hoped to be used by sea scouts to the area.
There was mixed opinion from residents before the meeting, with praise for the new facility and an “opportunity to get first time buyers on the ladder”, but fears had been raised over parking provision and that a 16-storey tower block could be an eyesore.
Councillor Derek Hunniset chaired the council’s Development Control Board meeting.
He said: “There were a number of things in the application councillors were concerned about.
“Traffic management including a lack of parking was highlighted, as well as losing local amenities such as the open spaces in the area.
“The development would also have meant losing a Thames footpath so that it would have to be diverted back inland around the development, councillors did not see this as acceptable, as we want to keep our riverfronts open.
“If the applicant were to come back with an amended application, we would obviously take a look at the proposal again.”
A spokesperson for Crest Nicholson said: “We’re naturally very disappointed that Dartford Borough Council has rejected the application for The Pier.
“The scheme was the result of over two years of pre-application discussions and engagement with the local community, and the detailed proposals were supported by all the statutory consultees.
“The scheme would have delivered many tangible benefits to the local community, as well as 151 much-needed new homes for the Dartford area as outlined in the plans. We will await the formal details of the reason for the decision before considering our next steps.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the orange box below for details.