Pregnant woman’s pets perish in Gravesend flat fire

PUBLISHED: 09:30 14 January 2014 | UPDATED: 09:30 14 January 2014

A cat and three pet birds died during a flat fire in Gravesend on Monday.

The resident, a pregnant woman, returned home at around 9.15pm to find her pets had died as a result of smoke inhalation from the blaze - thought to have been caused by an unattended candle.

Fire engines from Thames-side and Strood were called to the scene, in St Albans Close, and were forced to cut holes in the roof of the flat in order to put out the flames.

The first floor flat lounge suffered extensive damage, as well as the lounge of the ground floor flat below where the fire had broken through. the loft space of the neighbouring property also suffered smoke damage.

Ian Crouch, Thames-side watch manager, said: “Crews did an excellent job of preventing extensive damage to the ground floor flat and stopping the fire spreading to the neighbouring roof space.

“If you are using candles in your home, do so with care. Keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire and always extinguish them when you leave the room.”

Firefighters spent almost two hours battling the fire, and the pregnant woman was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

For free fire safety advice call 0800 923 7000, email, or visit

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter