Rottweiler dog believed to have started Dartford fire

PUBLISHED: 09:43 23 January 2013 | UPDATED: 09:43 23 January 2013

The Dartford fire was believed to have been started by a Rottweiler

The Dartford fire was believed to have been started by a Rottweiler


One pooch became a hotdog yesterday afternoon after it was thought to have started a fire in a Dartford home.

Two fire engines from Dartford were sent to the two-storey house in Willow Road at around 12.15pm after the female homeowner called 999.

It is believed the Rottweiler brushed past the hob and turned it on, setting light to some laundry which had been left on top of it while the woman was collecting her daughter from nursery.

On her return she discovered smoke billowing from her house and rushed in to save her beloved pet, which the fire brigade warned against.

Dartford Watch Manager, Bob Chilmaid, said: “After calling the fire service, the woman entered her home and brought her Rottweiler dog out to safety but suffered smoke inhalation in the process. We gave her oxygen therapy and she was then taken to hospital by ambulance crews for precautionary checks.

“Just three breaths of fire smoke can knock you unconscious so don’t put yourself at risk by stopping to investigate the fire or to collect pets or valuables. Just tell the fire crews when they arrive – we’ll be able to find them quicker and more safely than you.”

He added: “The safest option is to make sure cookers and other appliances are always fully switched off after use and never store items around ovens and hobs.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter