Search

Safety warning after woman burnt in Gravesend chip pan blaze

PUBLISHED: 10:12 09 June 2015 | UPDATED: 10:12 09 June 2015

Fire engines were  called to the scene

Fire engines were called to the scene

Archant

The woman suffered burns to her face, hands and neck after trying to tackle the blaze

A chip pan blaze in Gravesend on Monday night which left a woman suffering serious burns has prompted Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) to issue a safety warning.

The fire broke out in Laburnam Grove just after 10pm, with two fire engines from Thameside Fire Station responding. When the first crew arrived - within five minutes of the emergency call - a woman in her 40s and her six-year-old daughter had left the property. Before leaving the property, the woman had tried to tackle the blaze herself. When she poured cold water on the pan, the flames had flared up, causing burns to her face, neck and hands.

Watch Manager, Ian Crouch said: “It is believed that a chip pan was left cooking unattended and caught alight.

“A moment’s distraction while cooking can have disastrous consequences. Most cooking fires are the result of food catching alight after being left for too long on the hob or under the grill. Always stand by your pan and never attempt to tackle a chip pan fire using water. If the oil has overheated; don’t attempt to move the pan, turn the heat off if it’s safe to do so, cover it with a lid and leave it to cool down. “

Firefighters made the scene safe and administered first aid to the woman. She was then taken to hospital by the ambulance service. The kitchen had minor smoke damage.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter