School building could be resumed
PUBLISHED: 16:19 25 August 2010 | UPDATED: 16:19 25 August 2010
The top councillor in charge of education in the county has promised to push for cancelled multi-million pound building projects at four secondary schools to be put back on the agenda.
Visiting Thamesview School in Gravesend on Tuesday for the publication of the GCSE results Sarah Hohler, Kent County Council cabinet member for education. met with head teacher Rhiannon Hughes.
She pointed to the positive effects the Building Schools for the Future Programme had on the school which was previously on the National Challenge list.
Mrs Hohler said: “It is a brilliant new school and is an example of the success of the BSF.
“We do hope that when we get to the spending review (in October) similar improvements to the other half of the schools in Gravesend and Thanet can be made. “That is something we really want to emphasise and this is a great opportunity for people to see what can be done.”
In July Education Secretary Michael Gove confirmed plans to rebuild around 700 schools across the country, including both Gravesend Grammar Schools, Meopham School and St George’s Secondary Schools were to be scrapped.
Debby Sandeford, business manager at Gravesend Grammar School for Girls, which again scored top marks at GCSE level, achieving almost 100 per cent five or more A* to C grades, said: “Obviously we were very disappointed to be told our new building would not be taking place. This is completely new to us though we were aware people at Kent County council and in the government were looking at the programme.
“Our school is a lovely historic building but certain parts could do with improvement so we would welcome this.”
Thamesview, St Johns Catholic Comprehensive, Northfleet School for Girls, Northfleet Technology College and Ifield Special School benefited from the programme and will begin the new academic year in their newly built facilities in September.