Search

Shoppers in evacuation drama

PUBLISHED: 17:03 16 June 2010 | UPDATED: 11:47 23 August 2010

HUNDREDS of shoppers were evacuated from a supermarket on Saturday after an electrical point burnt out. The incident happened at about 11am, seeing staff and customers at Asda, in Thamesway, Gravesend, quickly evacuated through fire escapes to the main c

HUNDREDS of shoppers were evacuated from a supermarket on Saturday after an electrical point burnt out.

The incident happened at about 11am, seeing staff and customers at Asda, in Thamesway, Gravesend, quickly evacuated through fire escapes to the main car park.

One crew from Thameside Fire and Rescue attended and the store was closed for about half-an-hour while firefighters assessed the premises.

The alarm was raised when smoke was detected in an electrical back-up supply near the store's warehouse.

General store manager Chris Fawn said: "It was not a fire but a smouldering electrical point burnt out.

"A colleague noticed it and rightly so pushed the break glass as a precautionary measure.

"We will always evacuate in the instance of a fire alarm."

The store, which opened in 1988, is currently undergoing a £1.9 million makeover with improved counters and check-outs due for completion later this year.

No-one was injured in the incident.

Most Read

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists