SOMEONE IS GOING TO BE KILLED SOON’
PUBLISHED: 18:20 28 May 2008 | UPDATED: 09:47 23 August 2010
SHOPPERS were left in shock at the weekend after hearing a girl had been sexually assaulted and a man taken to hospital in separate incidents. As residents went into town to start the Bank Holiday weekend, police sealed of parts of Gravesend as forensic
SHOPPERS were left in shock at the weekend after hearing a girl had been sexually assaulted and a man taken to hospital in separate incidents.
As residents went into town to start the Bank Holiday weekend, police sealed of parts of Gravesend as forensic teams gathered evidence.
The scene of the assault on the teenage girl at a yard belonging to A.B.C self drive, Darnley Road, Gravesend, was cordoned off until Saturday afternoon, after she reported the attack at 9.30pm the night before.
Officers also conducted house to house enquiries on the junction of New Road and Darnley Road.
Resident Lorraine Lawrence, 49, of Darnley Road, Gravesend, said: "We saw the police down there but we didn't know exactly why. We just assumed it was connected to the business. It's absolutely awful that this has happened to a young girl."
In an unrelated incident at 5am on Saturday, a 28-year-old man was taken to Darent Valley Hospital after a brawl in New Road, Gravesend.
Police cordoned of an area outside McDonald's and further down New Road, near Thomas Cook.
The violence happened two weeks after a 53-year-old man was left in a critical condition when he was punched at the taxi rank.
Shopper Robert Webster, 32, from Singlewell, said: "It won't be long until someone is killed here.
"I don't know what the answer is but I am certain a tragedy will happen here soon."
Shop manager Linda Halford, 56, of Riverview Park, Gravesend, said: "I think Gravesend town centre is becoming a no go area. They need a larger police presence. There's always trouble in the town and it doesn't seem to be just fists anymore, that's the frightening thing."
Police officers have confirmed the two incidents were not related.
They were called to the brawl outside McDonalds's restaurant and found a man suffering from a head injury. He was taken to hospital in a stable condition and was discharged on Sunday.
Four men, aged 20 to 21 years old, have since been arrested and bailed until June in connection with the incident and Gravesham council have passed CCTV images of the incident to Kent Police.
Leader of Gravesham Council Mike Snelling says that late night drinking may be responsible for the violent outbursts in the town centre.
He said: "I can only deplore the mindless violence by a tiny minority of yobs which so mars the reputation of our town.
"Although yet to be confirmed, this is so often alcohol-fuelled violence and I continue to question the relaxation of our national licensing laws."
Speaking about the alleged sex attack, a police spokesperson said: "Officers have been working with the girl to find out exactly what happened."
If you have any information on these attacks call police on 01474 565295 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.