Swanley GP admits sexually assaulting patients and taking indecent photos
PUBLISHED: 16:45 05 August 2013 | UPDATED: 16:45 05 August 2013
A Swanley GP has admitted to sexually assaulting patients as young as 18 and taking indecent photos of them during examinations.
Dr Barend Delport, who worked at The Oaks Surgery in Nightingale Way pleaded guilty at Maidstone Crown Court on Friday (August 2).
More than 500,000 indecent images were found at his home in Eynsford when detectives raided his home last year.
An investigation was launched when a patient contacted police to say the 55-year-old had taken intimate photos of her when she complained of stomach pains.
Dr Delport resigned on May 14 last year and he was immediately banned from practising.
A spokesman for The Oaks said: “The partners of The Oaks Surgery are still trying to come to terms with the shocking crimes of Dr Delport, and both patients and staff feel betrayed by his behaviour.
“We deeply regret the impact this has had on our patients and the local community.
“We would like to thank all those patients who helped to bring him to justice, and to express our gratitude to patients for their letters and telephone calls of support for the practice.
“All the appropriate and relevant steps have been taken to ensure the processes followed at the practice to safeguard adults and children are as robust and safe as possible. The welfare of patients is our utmost concern.”
He admitted 26 offences, including four sexual assaults on adults and three sexual assaults on children.
Dr Delport also pleaded guilty to 12 counts of taking indecent images of children, five of making indecent images of children and two of possessing indecent images of children.
He was remanded in custody and will be sentenced in the same court on September 9.
Dr James Thallon, Kent and Medway Medical Director of NHS England, said: “NHS England is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of all patients and is appalled by the behaviour of Dr Delport.
“In committing these crimes, Dr Delport has completely abused the respect and trust of patients in his care.
“We would encourage anyone with concerns about their treatment by this doctor to call the NHS helpline on 0800 923 3535 (open from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday). The local NHS has given its full support to the police investigation in this case.”
He has been suspended by the General Medical Council and is expected to be struck off after sentencing.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.