Teenagers - aged 14 and 16 - “scaled eight foot fence” before assaulting staff at Leigh Academy in Dartford

PUBLISHED: 10:12 18 December 2015 | UPDATED: 11:14 21 December 2015

Leigh Academy

Leigh Academy


Police called just after 3.30pm as member of staff was assaulted causing minor injuries

Two youths have been arrested at the Leigh Academy in Dartford this afternoon, after a “very well liked and respected” member of the school’s support staff at the school was assaulted.

A police spokesman said this afternoon: “Two boys, aged 14 and 16, have been arrested on suspicion of burglary and assault.”

The school has announced it will be reviewing its security measures but believe it was an “isolated incident”.

Officers were called to the scene in Green Street Green Road yesterday (Thursday) afternoon following a report of a disturbance. They left the scene at 5.23pm.

Early reports on social media had suggested a teacher at the school had been attacked.

Leigh Academy issued the following statement:

““The academy has now reviewed CCTV of yesterday’s incident and it revealed that the two teenagers that trespassed on our ground gained entry by scaling an 8ft security fence at the edge of our property.

“They were stopped at the first possible point on entering the school and our staff followed our security procedures and ensured students were immediately removed from the area.

“We are satisfied that this is an isolated incident and that there is no ongoing security risk to our students.

“However, as a matter of precaution we will be undertaking a review of all of our existing security measures across the Trust to ensure we are doing everything we physically can to keep our students safe whilst they are in our care.

“At the end of the school day two youths gained entry to the Leigh Academy site and made their way to staff offices.

“They were quickly discovered by a male member of staff who challenged their presence. Upon being challenged the two youths assaulted the member of staff.

“The police were immediately called and the two youths were apprehended and arrested by Kent Police officers.

“The member of staff was checked over by paramedics, having sustained minor injuries, before leaving the site.

“No students from the academy were injured in this incident.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter