Three kidnappers sentenced following “vicious assault” which left victim missing three teeth

PUBLISHED: 13:31 18 February 2016 | UPDATED: 13:37 18 February 2016

Steven Orman

Steven Orman


They have been sentenced to a combined total of 17 years

Craig HotchkissCraig Hotchkiss

Three men in their 20s have been jailed for more than 17 years, after a “vicious assault” outside a Gravesend block of flats.

Steven Orman 24, Muston Drive in Chatham, along with Craig Hotchkiss, 27, Oak Road, Gravesend and Chen Nyokanhete, 25 of Beaumont Drive Northfleet, started their attack in Clarence Row, Gravesend.

The three men repeatedly kicked and punched their victim, before bundling him into an elevator where they continued their unprovoked attack.

The victim, a man in his 40s, left a friend’s flat in the early morning of Saturday April 12 2014, when Orman and Hotchkiss approached him.

Chen NyokanheteChen Nyokanhete

He was asked to let the pair inside, but after explaining he didn’t live there he was grabbed by the throat and beaten for 10 minutes.

Nyokanhete then opened the door from the inside to greet Orman and Hotchkiss before the three of them dragged their victim into the lift, where the assault continued.

Police arrived at the flats where they discovered the victim missing three teeth and barely conscious on the seventh floor.

All three attackers were arrested at the scene.

Orman and Hotchkiss were jailed for seven years each after pleading guilty to robbery and kidnap, while Nyokanhete will spend three-and-a-half years behind bars after being found guilty of kidnap following a trial.

Sergeant Julia Pexton said: “The victim in this case was forced to endure an horrific and entirely unprovoked attack, and it is a miracle he is still alive today to see those responsible get the custodial sentences they deserve.

“Their actions against an innocent man were shocking to say the least, and all three are clearly a danger to the public and belong behind bars.

“I would like to pay tribute to the victim for showing the courage to relive his attack in support of the investigation, as well as to the officers from the Gravesham local district policing team whose good work on the day may well have saved his life.”

All three were sentenced yesterday, Wednesday February 17.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter