Search

Tourists to sue over poisoning

PUBLISHED: 18:24 14 April 2010 | UPDATED: 11:38 23 August 2010

HOLIDAYMAKERS left sick for weeks after alleged food poisoning from a Turkish hotel are part of a giant legal action against a travel company. Norma Lindley, 48, and her son George, 12, of Gibson Close, Northfleet, were ill for 24 days and seven days res

HOLIDAYMAKERS left sick for weeks after alleged food poisoning from a Turkish hotel are part of a giant legal action against a travel company.

Norma Lindley, 48, and her son George, 12, of Gibson Close, Northfleet, were ill for 24 days and seven days respectively following their trip with First Choice Holidays two years ago.

The action, served by Manchester-based solicitors Pannone LLP includes 659 individuals claiming to have suffered stomach illnesses after staying at the Holiday Village Hotel, Sarigerme, Turkey.

Pannone LLP claim many of them developed gastro-enteritis, including salmonella, c difficile, and other infections as a result of eating uncooked chicken and undercooked turkey, and swimming in pools contaminated with human feaces.

The writ, issued at London's High Court, claims staff at the hotel left the buffet salad bar uncovered, allowing flies to land on it, reused disposable cups, mixed fresh food with food which had been standing some time, and handled raw and cooked meats without washing their hands.

First Choice has admitted liability for its suppliers' negligence, the writ says. However, the two sides are thought to be unable to agree how much compensation the holidaymakers should receive.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists