UPDATE: Nearly twenty teenagers bailed after video online shows gang ‘destroy’ inside of former Sikh temple in Gravesend
PUBLISHED: 11:41 05 July 2016 | UPDATED: 10:49 06 July 2016
All of the boys will return to various police stations in August and September
Police officers in Gravesend have bailed a total of 19 teenage boys as they investigate a criminal damage report at a former temple in Gravesend.
The teens, fourteen 16-year-old boys, four 15-year-old boys and one 14-year-old boy, all from west and north Kent, were arrested on suspicion of criminal damage.
The arrests came after a video emerged online last month of what appeared to be a gang of youths inside of the derelict building in Clarence Place.
The video was shared on various social media websites, with people branding those on camera as ‘idiots’.
One Twitter user asked: “How they going to go into a place of worship and destroy it like that?”
All of the teenagers have been bailed to return to a local police station on various dates throughout late August and early September.
A police spokesperson said: “There is nothing to suggest this was a hate crime, however, officers understand the lasting impact that a crime of this nature may have on a community and will continue to work closely with the Guru Nanak Darbar Gurdwara and other community partners in offering reassurance.”
Gurvinder Sandher, chief executive of the Kent Equality Cohesion Council, said: “It was disturbing to see those scenes, but the key thing is to stress is that this wasn’t a place of worship, it has been derelict for years.
“We’re not seeing it as an attack against Sikhs, but we would hope that the young people learn from the error of their ways.”
All six teenagers have been bailed to return to a local police station on August 3.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.