'We want it rebuilt' - Protesters gather outside demolished site of Battle of Britain
PUBLISHED: 16:05 18 October 2016 | UPDATED: 16:23 18 October 2016
Police were present at the site
Protesters gathered on Tuesday afternoon to voice their anger at a pub’s shock demolition.
The Battle of Britain was described as a ‘thriving business and community hub’ by one protestor, but work to remove the pub is now well underway.
Protesters gathered at the site, where four car police cars were also spotted.
Local campaigner Tina Brooker was at the protest.
She said: “We want it rebuilt. It was a thriving business that had a lot of visitors, clubs were set up there, it was a community hub.
“This protest is just the beginning, we’ll be protesting to council as they should have put an enforcement notice in to stop the works.”
The council says it has to determine the application to demolish and will take into consideration that the pub is not a listed building, is outside the conservation area and no requests to have it registered as a community asset have been received.
The start of the month, developers Caldecotte Group applied to the council to determine whether permission was needed prior to demolition of the building, giving assurances that work would not begin until approval was granted.
The site foreman said one wall had been rendered unsafe and would have to be removed but agreed to stop work until a further building control visit later that day.
When they returned, officers found that much more of the building had been knocked down, and a structural expert reported that a large section of wall now needed to be demolished for safety reasons.
What do you think? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.