Search

Woman hurt in blaze

PUBLISHED: 13:46 23 July 2009 | UPDATED: 10:53 23 August 2010

A 30-YEAR-OLD woman was treated for smoke inhalation after trying to tackle a chip pan fire. Firefighters were called to a house in Christianfields Avenue, Gravesend, at 6.30pm on Monday. Crews from Thames-Side fire station, in Coldharbour Road, Northfl

A 30-YEAR-OLD woman was treated for smoke inhalation after trying to tackle a chip pan fire.

Firefighters were called to a house in Christianfields Avenue, Gravesend, at 6.30pm on Monday.

Crews from Thames-Side fire station, in Coldharbour Road, Northfleet, arrived to find a woman tackling a fire by placing wet towels over her fryer.

Watch manager Lawrence Pater said: "It was actually an electric fryer which she had put on the gas hob, not realising it was alight. She went out and returned to hear her smoke alarm and found the oil had caught light.

"We would urge people not to tackle fires themselves but to get out. While tackling the blaze she suffered smoke inhalation and after an initial oxygen therapy by firefighters, paramedics took her to hospital."

Fire crews managed to limit the damage to just five per cent of the kitchen.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Gravesend Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Gravesend Reporter